Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Even Sirens Get Dry Skin

So here in the Great North West the weather has taken a turn for the cold and wet and as anyone who has lived in a chilly climate knows this often means dry, itchy, uncomfortable skin. This is not pretty to look at, and not uncomfortable.

What is a Siren to do? I tried lotions, and salves, and creams and nothing seemed to work. So out of desperation I went to my kitchen and mixed up a concoction of coconut, olive and grape seed oils. Tossed in some chucky sugar and a dash of vanilla and mixed it all together. The smell was divine! But would it help my dry limbs? Only one way to find out, off to the shower I went.

I’ll skip all of the nitty gritty details of showering to clean the skin and jump straight to scrubbing to exfoliate and soften the skin. I dipped my fingers into the little jar and started to gently rub the sugar and oil on my skin. (Did I mention that this stuff smelled DIVINE?) After thoroughly scrubbing all of my skin I rinsed off the little bits of sugar and extra oils that remained, turned off the water and grabbed my towel and blotted the water droplets off my skin. You will notice that I said “blotted” as opposed to wiped. This was so that I could leave as much of the oil to soak into my skin as possible. A very important step if I do say so myself, and well I guess I just did.

Now normally right after I get out of the shower I have to slather on the lotion before I dress but this time I decided to forgo the lotion and see how moisturized this scrub would make me. This as it turns out was a great decision because by the end of the day my skin was still soft and moist, almost dewy. Could it be? Did I just find a way to beat the dry skin blues? Or was this a fluke? I needed to test this out on other Sirens. So back to the kitchen to mix up a few more batches I went.

With a few freshly mixed jars of this lovely elixir I set out to meet up with a couple of my favorite Sirens. Within a month both of them had nearly used up all of their scrub and were requesting more. I was more than happy to oblige. This time I made a bigger batch and tried a few more scents as well as recruited other Sirens to give it a try. This lovely creation was a hit; I even had people asking if they could buy it… SQUEEEE!!!

“Well of course you may.” I responded, with a huge smile on my face.

So I ask you again, “when her skin is dry and uncomfortable, what is a Siren to do?” Well this Siren’s remedy was sweet, make SUGAR SCRUB.




The only down side is this can leave the shower a tinsy bit slick so you may have to use care so as not to slip. Other than that this stuff is exactly what the Siren ordered.

Will have 16oz jars of my Sirens Sugar Scrub for sale on my ETSY site by this weekend. Watch for them, they will make FANTASTIC holiday gifts.

Ta-ta for now,

M.



No comments:

Post a Comment