Thursday, October 27, 2011

Today we will be working with glass and fabric!

So the other day I was asked by a dear friend to make a few pieces of jewelry that she will gift this Christmas. One of the items at first sounded quite challenging and I almost declined the request but after discussing her vision and mulling it over for a few days I have decided to take up the challenge.
HER REQUEST: green glass heart, about ¾” to 1” wide with a little yellow buttercup
My 1st response: Glass isn’t like paper so I can’t just cut it into the shape of a heart. I would need a saw to make the cuts and I DON’T HAVE A SAW. And what is a buttercup?
Her response: I’m sure you’ll figure it out and the flower doesn’t have to be made out of glass. I trust your artistic vision.
HA!!! Great…
So with that here are the questions I went away with:
#1: what the heck does a Buttercup look like
#2: how to cut a heart out of glass
Well after a quick search on the Google I now know what a buttercup is. Easy enough. Now how to replicate that: I know Fabric…
Here is what I found and how I replicated it:
Real Buttercup

Fabric Buttercup
Now on to the heart… Well this part may end up being a bit trickier but I have some ideas. I will share more on that topic after I have worked on it a bit. For now here is what I am trying.
Ta-ta,
M.

2 comments:

  1. I love the flower honey! Can you make more? How about orchids? and roses? I love your blog and read it all the time. Will be placing my Christmas order soon. xxx rpm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there.. Makes me so happy to hear that you like the flower and yes i can (and will be) do more of them. Possibly an orchid, for sure a rose. Get your orders in as soon as you can.. Kisses, M.

    ReplyDelete