Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How to take lovely pictures…?


For the past week I have been busily working on bracelets, vases, necklaces and trying to keeping sane as I approach my goal; to have items listed on Etsy by this coming Saturday. So far I have nine completed bracelets and four that are close to completion, five vintage bottle hanging vases , and a couple of necklaces, but those are already sold… Yes, I had my first official sale over the weekend!!!! I was so over come with joy that I squealed like a little girl and did a little happy dance. Lucky for the hubby, he had just come into the room so he was able to share my joy and laugh at me all at the same time.

Now that I have these items completed it is time to write descriptions and start taking photos to share with all of you. While I have ideas for how to write the descriptions I am a bit concerned that I will not be able to express in words what someone would see and feel if they purchased my treasures in person. With that said, I understand that a picture is worth a thousand words so I figured I would just take several great photos and they would fill in any details I may have missed . Simple enough, right? Yea, not so much…

This weekend I staged all of the items I had completed and began clicking away with my trusty camera. Sadly out of the many photos I shot I only got a few that I would considered usable, and they were only of the bracelets. I did not get any of the vases that I considered useable.

Here are the bracelets. I really love the way they look on this starfish.
*Blue jasper with silver flower on hand knotted silk cord*

*Moonstone and turquoise accent bead on hand knotted silk cord*
*Red coral with turquoise accent bead on hand knotted silk cord*
*Red jasper with white skull and red glass flower on hand knotted silk cord*
*Turquoise with red coral accent bead on hand knotted silk cord*

*Turquoise with red skull and white glass flower accent bead on hand knotted silk cord*
*Yellow green jasper with silver flower accent bead on hand knotted silk cord*


So here are the hanging vintage bottle vases. I am not at all happy with these photographs. They don't seem to show the detail that you would see if you were actually looking at them..

*Vintage insulator hanging vase/lantern with red glass beads*
*Vintage bottle hanging lantern with red glass beads and crystal accent bead at bottom*

*Vintage green bottle hanging lantern with lavender glass bead*
I had this "great" idea to take them to the park and photograph them hanging from a tree. I love the way they look when hung together, it gives them a very whimsy feel. What I found was that they got "lost" in all of the greenery. Very sad :)

I have to admit that i naively thought taking the photos was going to be the easy part. Boy was I mistaken. I have a whole new respect for art of photography and the level of skill needed to take a lovely picture.
M.



2 comments:

  1. I think perhaps you need more contrast with your background? BTW, I've always loved insulators as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you for the tip. I will try that with the next round of pics. And insulators are so much fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete